I have completed my studies in Spain and I do not have a job offer. Now what?



For many students who complete their studies in Spain, the desire to stay and embark on a job search is hindered by the expiration of their student residence permit. There are two fairly common paths: either extend the study residence permit or modify it with a job offer to a residence and work permit. But what if neither of these options is viable? In our legislation, there is a promising solution: the Job Search Residence Permit.

This permit offers foreign students who have completed studies of at least Level 6 of the European Qualifications Framework, corresponding to the accreditation of a university degree, a Temporary Residence Authorization of up to 24 months. This time cannot be extended, but during this period, holders are free to seek employment commensurate with their level of completed studies or even start a business project.

Here is a detailed guide on how to obtain this residence permit and the requirements and essential documents you must meet:

Certificate of Completion of Studies: It is required to prove the completion of previous studies reflecting passing, utilization, and level of studies completed.

Private Medical Insurance: It is necessary to have valid private medical insurance in Spain, which is annual and without co-payments or waiting periods.

Financial means: The capacity to cover living expenses during the validity of this permit must be demonstrated, including accommodation, maintenance, etc. Normally, this requirement is accredited through a responsible declaration of possession of these means, and the following thresholds will be taken into account:


For the Applicant, monthly, 100% of the IPREM (600 euros per month in 2023), unless duly proven to have paid in advance for accommodation, in which case it will be 50% of the IPREM, for the entire duration of the residence.

For the support of their family members, monthly, 75% of the IPREM for the first family member and 50% of the IPREM for each of the remaining persons, unless duly proven to have paid in advance for accommodation for the entire duration of the residence.

If the study stay authorization had a duration of less than six months, the following documents must be provided:


Medical certificate to certify the absence of serious illnesses in accordance with the International Health Regulations of 2005.

If of legal age, a certificate of criminal record issued by the authorities of the country of origin or the country where you have resided for the last five years.

The application must be submitted by the Applicant to the Foreigners Office of the province. The administration has 20 days to communicate the resolution of the file and can be submitted within the 60 days prior to the expiration of the Study permit and within the 90 days thereafter.

One of the main benefits is that, being a residence permit, it counts towards nationality. In addition, family members can accompany the student as long as they have already accompanied them during their stay for studies in Spain.

However, it should be noted that during the validity of this permit, the foreigner is NOT authorized to work. To do so, they must modify their permit. If they find suitable employment commensurate with the level of completed studies or have started a business project, they must apply for the corresponding authorization among those regulated in Organic Law 4/2000, of January 11, fulfilling what is provided in article 200 of its Regulation, or in Law 14/2013, of September 27.

For those seeking a solid alternative and do not have other options, this permit becomes a door that opens towards a future full of job opportunities in Spain.

Consulting specialized lawyers can be the strategic step that transforms these opportunities into an achievable reality.

Your job future in Spain awaits you!

#hazloBien #doitRight 

Anaí, abogada de EX24. 

Evgenia Manova

Evgenia Manova


Not sure what to do?

What's eimmi® ?